8/25/14

Home is where I hang my hat.

Damn it.  I am doing it again.  This is the last time I will make a home out of mere material structure.  If this house ever becomes less than a home, "home" will just have to become a space inside my head, a state of mind.  In fact, isn't this really what home is?

Day after day, I travel between hardware, paint, and furniture store, click through pages on the web, spend countless hours and too many dollars gathering various and sundry goods that might "make this house a home."  I moan over my failure to acquire or accomplish an item on my list, argue over someone else's incompetence, tally time and effort and lament a glaring lack of return.  And for what?  So that at the end of the day - after I have put away tools, assembled an evening meal, and finally kicked off my shoes - I might feel at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment